Feb 16, 2009

Making plans to chomp down a balcony

4x2metres balcony is all we got. Did an inventory this afternoon. There are already some-34 varieties (see 'What's growing' on left column) of herbs, vegetables and fruit-vegs within this little space.

To maximise natural sun locations for growing, the double-tier planting rack has been moved to form a continous 4metres sunny-frontline with the existing heirloom tomato collection and suspended herbs rack.




Leafy vegetables -> Started; to expand.

Grown in hydroponic boxes. With 4weeks rotations, and harvesting 4 cooking-days a week, there will be a need for one more hydroponic box. What I have now is Pakchoy, Choysum, Lettuce and Silverbeet. Looking for Spinach and Kailan. Do drop me a note if u will like to propose more greens, or your prefered variety ;)

Root vegetables -> To research & start soon.

This catergory of edibles is completely new to me. Maybe grow some radish or carrots in a soil box? How deep should it be? What kind of soil media? Which varieties? ......

Fruiting vegetables -> Started; to improve lighting condition.

Im partial to heirloom tomatoes. They will all grow up to be giants. However, being indoor, I only allow them grow up to 2.2metres, after which, chop it down and grow new plant. Still, this arrangement is good enough to keep me happy with my little collection. Only problem seems to be that more and more sunny days have been replaced with cloudy (though equally high temperature) days. There is a need for setting up growlights to fill in 2 extra hours of artificial lights a day.

Amidst growlight selection right now... Once set up, the edible-balcony blueprint should more-or-less remains stable till 2010 at least. And I look forward to the exciting actions-days for the following weeks ;)

10 comments:

Blur Ting said...

Try planting radish. They grow very quickly and are easy to care for. I put them in a deep styrofoam box filled with loose soil (burnt clay mixed with sand and lava soil). Apparently the leaves can be stir fried too but I let the radish grow until the leaves turned yellow. Too late.

Rummi, the gardener. said...

ok, BlurTing, will plant radish. What species is yours and whose seeds?

any suggestions for carrots n sweet potatoes? i like stirfried sweet potato leaves very much, hehe.

Petunia Lee said...

I have Japanese sweet potato with very sweet leaves. I got them from Bollywood Vegetable Farm. You want some cuttings?

And gee... you're good at maximising garden space. I shall have to think harder how I can plant more in my garden. I'm running outta space, and I don't think I have as many different types as you do. Good job!

Rummi, the gardener. said...

hehe, our dear petunialee, if u maximise ur roof garden any more, u can feed a whole kampung liao! ... or is tat ur next gardening-goal?!?!

i will grow recommended veg;) will luv to take the bollywood sweet potato cuttings fr u.

Blur Ting said...

Actually I can mail you some radish seeds. I bought mine from Ban Lee Huat. They don't grow very big but they're good enough for eating. You can see them on my msgreenfingers blog.

I am planting tomatoes now. Mine is the local variety. I have been advised to cut away the lower branches so that the energy will go towards the flowers and fruits. My plants are about a foot tall and have started flowering.

Blur Ting said...

I bought some red carrot seeds from World Farm but haven't started sowing yet. Not sure if they can grow properly in Singapore but I'm keen to try.

Rummi, the gardener. said...

hi BTing, saw ur tomato plant on ur blog- very healthy kid. i practise brutal-pruning to my toms too. Single main stem only, lowest first 5-6pairs of leaves out.

btw, u mentioned lettuce being bitter. i read in a gardening book it cld be due to weather not being cool enuff. (aiya, ur blog refused to post my comments le). u might wanna check along tis direction...

thks for offering ur radish seeds. i'll like to try urs ;) will send u sase. can u pls email me address.

Rummi, the gardener. said...

Wow, will be great to harvest own carrots! i heard they grow in cooler weather...

but with those green fingers of yours, probably anything also can grow wo !!

by chance do u wanna try growing leeks musselborough?

Anonymous said...

Greetings,
I will never complain about space anymore, after looking at your blog. I have lots of sweet potato but unfortunately, can’t post it to you, too far. Glad I found your blog.

Rummi, the gardener. said...

LOL...

Naturalnigtdew, thanks for the thought ;)