Aug 5, 2009

New era - Period of Toms

Changes bring new lifes!

I am excited with the new direction coming Nov. Then, new lifestyles spells adaptations for the existing. Kimi will have to adapt. The garden will have to adapt too.

The present balcony garden is slowing growing out of the existing planting list. We are downsizing the plant list so as to upsize the produces. Too much riddle? Simply, the new lifestyle coming Nov do not give me much time for gardening. Thus a very selective collection will be grown, and whatever is growing out there has to be 'independent'. Too much to ask for from pampered indoor plants? Not really! Tomatoes, cucumbers and many herbs grow wonderfully in hydroponic, which is so addictive cos working-time was reduced from watering everyday to topping up nutrients one/twice a week. There will be lots of heirloom tomatoes in future. And the rosemary, thymes, bay, lemon myrtle, pandan and curry plants in soil are happy to continue standing in lesser-sun and drinking only every 2/3days. The remainings such as mints and basils are really easy-going plants too.

So now we have (on the way) a balcony-garden with more walking space and less work :)

Btw, my dear toms are fruiting again. Looks like a bountiful harvest this round.

4 comments:

Blur Ting said...

You're really good at growing tomatoes. I have no success so far.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

So lovely! I'm so sorry to hear about one broken by the wind. I had a similar experience too.. Only I suspect it was the heavy rainfall.. not the wind.. BTW, Can you kindly show me how you grow your tomatoes? My grow all spinely and honestly, I don't know what to do with it....

Rummi, the gardener. said...

BlurTing : No la, my failure rate also very high :p

Open Kitchen Concept : Sorry to hear abt your drown-case too. Honestly, my tomato results are so mixed that I still can't conclude what is the ideal condition to provide them on my balcony.

Growing in soil, they are in 30cm diameter pot, 50:50 compost to soil, watered twice a day.

Growing in hydroponic (they all are now, but not a permanent switch), things are easier cos no watering, but not within my control as the nutrients are formulated by OhChinHuat.

They used to say that long legged growth (spinely?) are due to insufficient sunlight. You may wanna attempt moving them to better 'fengshui spot'.

Hmm... not sure if this sharing helps :p

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Hey.. thanks.. I've moved them to a sunny sunny spot now. Hope they will be happier! :)